Re: HYB: help - I. pallida crosses

  • Subject: Re: HYB: help - I. pallida crosses
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:39:54 -0400

Ok - sounds like you both think it might be worth having the genes, but maybe not worth the time and trouble?

I keep piddling around with offspring from my very first pallida cross (S1 - seedling #1), which was the tall pallida that grows everywhere locally (Beatrice? dalmatica?) X MULBERRY ROSE. Although the few intentional crosses with it that I've tried haven't worked, it readily sets bee pods, most offspring that I've raised from it look pretty much like S1 (diploid? triploid?).

Exception is S1bwh (white seedling from S1 x bee) - it looks pretty much like a tetraploid (or 48+) and is moderately pod fertile with modern tets. I've saved a seedling from it X VIZIER (kept the best of a handful of similar looking survivors), plus half a dozen seedlings that I just lined out from it X DARK PASSION. Success rate setting pods on this one is nearly as good as other TBs here (i.e., varies from zero success to about 30%)

I've also kept a S1bwh X bee seedling (i.e., pallida grandchild) - big tall awkward, wide branched thing that was pod fertile in the one cross I've tried. It's a very pale pinkish lavender, crossed it with TRANS-ORANGE (I think...), seems like there are seedlings from it that were lined out this spring.

Bottom line - if you trust the bees to do the work, it doesn't seem all that hard to get fertility ;-)

On the other hand, I have not seen any bee pods on this batch of seedlings that I dug out. They do sometimes make pollen, unlike S1 or its seedling S1bwh. But lots of modern TBs don't make pollen with my growing conditions, so that's not indicative of anything.

Maybe I will try to scatter them around the edges of the maintained rows, giving the bees more access to diverse pollen for them!

Paul, do you know anybody who would especially want them?
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8