Re: Re: HYB: help - I. pallida crosses

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: help - I. pallida crosses
  • From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 19:12:58 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Yes, I do agree they have value for breeding, but if they don't set seed there really isn't any point.  That doesn't seem to be a problem for you. Them setting bee pods is good to a point it just makes it hard to achieve goals towards specific colors or making sure you (or we) actually know what the other parent is.  Sometimes that can be important.

It's really up to you to decide the value that the seedlings represent in your advancement goals as we aren't there to see them ourselves and how they grow.  Note that it will take a few more generations to breed out the floppy, narrow, species look while trying to keep the growth habits you want.  You probably will get the odd seedling here and there that breaks the barrier but you will have to grow many seedlings to do so and then hope it is fertile.  As most of us breeders know the many of the nicest ones we want to use end up being sterile or so limitedly fertile you end up trying other seedlings that just don't measure up.

Just thoughts not a discouragement.

Sorry, I don't know anyone who would want them.  I put that out there to encourage anyone else who might be (instead of them expecting me to make an offer).  I have enough to deal with on my own and actually have no space currently to put mine having just moved from NC.  Currently working on a deal with someone for space and plans to move them from NC in late winter.  UGH!

Paul Archer
Indianapolis, IN  zone 5