Re: Re: HYB: oldies - sidebar (pigment)

  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: oldies - sidebar (pigment)
  • From: Robin Shadlow <rshadlow@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:23:30 -0700 (PDT)

Just a bit more as Linda hit it pretty well.  The 'I' nomenclature feels a
little like a double negative, that trips me up sometimes.  I understand why
they chose it at the gene inhibits anthocyanin expression, and it is a
dominant trait so Immortality is at least Iiii.  But could be IIii or IIIi.
(recessive white possible as Linda says, but seems unlikely here)  I doubt
anyone has kept track of enough progeny with  iiii parents- (anthocyanin
expressed) that we know.

As far as I know the tangerine and 'I' traits are not linked.  Though if the
iris were iiii, then you would not know what the tangerine expression was
because you would have anthocyanin expressed, masking the pink.

Robin Shadlow
zone 5 NE