[iris] Re: REB: checklist

Unfortunately, I don't have extensive records, so what I say is based on memory, which is less and less reliable. The only one I have a lot of info on is IMM - I can check to see when I started daubing pollen. I have one SDB I've tried to cross onto IMM and have had to save pollen in the fridge from the SDB while waiting for IMM to bloom.

The "summers" tend to be reliable spring bloomers here which means that <if> they tried to bloom E (with or before the few SDBs I grow, which are possibly skewed towards the later blooming SDBs), they would <not> spring bloom most years because they would regularly be frozen out.

Cycle bloomers are nearly always frozen out here (except HARVEST OF M). On rare occasions, they will manage to bloom <before> the last killing freeze, and a few of the more freeze tolerant (i.e., ENGLISH COTTAGE) will manage a few normal blooms in a year with hard late freezes that aren't too severe.

So, keeping all that in mind, comparing spring blooming time of cycle rebloomers with spring blooming time of "summer" bloomers based on how often I remember seeing the "summers" get frozen out compared to the cycles:

Based on memory, these "summer" bloomers are frozen out (i.e., E bloom) often enough that I remember it happening: RENOWN (sometimes lose all bloom), IMMORTALITY (occasional stalk - and always main bloom is later), VIOLET MIRACLE (usually puts up more stalks in fall than spring, so am not sure about this one - sometimes blooms very late in spring), SUMMER OLYMPICS, VIOLET CLASSIC (doesn't grow well - usually only get one or two stalks), ANGELIC WINGS (? I haven't had this one as long as some of the others), DAUGHTER OF STARS (usually freeze damaged, but seems to be more freeze sensitive than the others, so who knows on this one), GATE OF HEAVEN (haven't had very long, but it seems to be more freeze sensitive than others, so again, may not be indicative of timing), GOLDEN IMMORTAL (borderline - sometimes early, sometimes later).

Some others I thought of - TEA LEAVES, VIOLET MUSIC, UNBELIEVABLE LOVE, AUTUMN ORANGELITE, SUMMER WHITEWINGS, GRAND BAROQUE are not early here (G. P. Brown registrations don't always give timing of spring bloom).

How about this - the "summers" are more slowly responsive to changes in temperature than oncers or cyclers, so slow down bloom initiation until they have had a longer (i.e., stable) period of warmth in spring. So they might bloom later for me in my frost pocket than, for example, on top of a more quickly warmed east facing slope.

My impression (i.e., memory, not data) is that the really rapidly growing, heavy increasers seem to have more trouble surviving here and are frozen out more often than some of the slower ones.

For at least part of his hybridizing career, Lloyd was selecting for rebloomers that would bloom in spite of severe late winter/early spring freezes. Losing bloom to late freezes is what got him interested in rebloomers to start with.

<Have you noted when these bloom for you, not just how they are registered.

Chuck Chapman>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8