From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of
christian foster
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 7:42 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] HYB: CULT: Garden labels

Hey gang.

I've been looking for something new to try, and more economical,
for garden labels.

So far I've tried:
- self adhesive vinyl floor tiles-
they work well as dividers except that they become brittle.  They are too
in the ground to be visible after the seedlings grow up.

- plastic spoons-
became brittle very quickly but I really liked the surface area of the bowl
for writing on.

- popsicle sticks- became brittle and too low, hard to find
in growth.  They worked well in germination pots and to mark where seedlings
had been lined out.

Lately a new close-out type store opened in my area.
Inside I spotted many boxes of PVC mini-blinds... many of which were clearly
not functional as blinds.  I haven't gone to ask about buying them in bulk
because gas prices are causing me to re-consider buying plastic products.

the school where I work there are several repositories of paint stirring
sticks.  Some of them are from painting projects, but most I think are there
for some other as yet undiscovered reason.  One such deposit is in the
where they are sometimes used to mark the place of a book that has been
off the shelf.

As it happens the librarian is interested in breeding roses
so she and I chat about gardening on occasion.  Yesterday, we were sitting
near the pail of paint stirring sticks and I said... "I think I might try
those."  She said she already had and they worked well except they soak up
water and might mold.

I also heard recently that Copper Sulfate will keep
seeds from molding.  Source on that one is suspect.

Tired of
spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around