[iris] Re: CULT: mold & seeds

Betty reports that mold hurts the seeds, but I'd always heard that a little mold improves germination, theory being that it speeds up breakdown of seedcoat germination inhibitors (i.e., the water soluble ones, not the cold requiring ones).

Time to do some research ;-)

My only observation is that I've ignored mold (they tend to grow beaucoups bacteria and mold in burritos) and haven't noticed any effect on germination, other than that germination is <much> higher for me with burritos than outdoors, but haven't kept notes on which crosses had moldy seeds and which didn't.

There are ~150 different crosses molding in the fridge as we speak - will try to take some notes as I plant them next month & report back.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8