From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
To: iris@hort.net
Sent: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 7:59 am
Subject: [iris] Re: CULT: mold & seeds

Betty reports that mold hurts the seeds, but I'd always heard that a little mold improves germination, theory being that it speeds up breakdown of seedcoat germination inhibitors (i.e., the water soluble ones, not the cold requiring ones).?
?
Time to do some research ;-)?
?
My only observation is that I've ignored mold (they tend to grow beaucoups bacteria and mold in burritos) and haven't noticed any effect on germination, other than that germination is <much> higher for me with burritos than outdoors, but haven't kept notes on which crosses had moldy seeds and which didn't.?
?
There are ~150 different crosses molding in the fridge as we speak - will try to take some notes as I plant them next month & report back.?
-- Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8?
East Tennessee Iris Society <http://www.DiscoverET.org/etis>?
Region 7, Kentucky-Tennessee <http://www.aisregion7.org>?
American Iris Society web site <http://www.irises.org>?
talk archives: <http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-talk/>?