Re: CULT: community display garden

  • Subject: Re: CULT: community display garden
  • From: autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 12:00:15 -0400

<<those of you who have participated in planning and care for a display
garden, esp pitfalls to avoid, suggestions for what to be sure to do,
etc.B >>

SKIS has a display garden in Bowling Green KY. It's on the school
ground where we have our show & conduct our rhizome sale.

The garden started as 4 blocks of 4 rows, each 10 rhizomes long. It
expanded "out"--to 5 rows (each) that are 13 to 15 rhizomes long with
approximately 250 clumps.

Once the garden was established it became a source for the SKIS rhizome
sale. Someone sits in the garden during the day of the show and takes
orders. In addition, people are encouraged to visit the garden at
different times.

Local gardens must be saturated with irises like HELLO DARKNESS &
SKATING PARTY. In the beginning, we've had orders of 20+ on some of
these. A few newer varieties are introduced each year to add variety.

As to care, for years the membership took care of the garden. Now, most
of the membership is aging so some of the money from rhizome sales is
used to hire someone to do the manual labor. Someone, a go to person,
needs to chair the process so the schedule is maintained. The club has
used preemergents to help with maintenance.

Our local population seems to enjoy the garden. Portions of the general
public have been made aware of rebloomers as a result of this garden.

Betty Wilkerson
Bridge In Time Iris
0AKY Zone 6