Re: CULT: Community display garden

  • Subject: Re: CULT: Community display garden
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 09:44:33 -0400

Thanks for the input, Betty.

I think the garden club has agreed that planting along the retaining wall will be an ideal location for it, rather than around the shrubbery at the gazebo.

Now if I can get some more feedback on how big a bed is reasonable to maintain, how many rhizomes we might need to start with. 250 clumps sounds huge, but even starting with 4 x 4 x 10 = 160? clumps sounds like a <big> planting.

Are they all TBs?

Betty, I'm sure these folks won't want to pay somebody to take care of it, at least not to start with, but they have an eye on the inmates across the street in the new jail for help for watering and maintenance. The inmates are apparently growing most of their own vegetables, donating excess to community food bank, doing some park grounds maintenance.

You've all seen photos of my weeds & can tell I'm not into high maintenance, but this garden club is composed of real gardeners, not plant breeders, & will definitely want this to be a well maintained display.