Re: Potting medium for seedling pots

  • Subject: Re: Potting medium for seedling pots
  • From: Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 02:29:37 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I would suggest perlite, not vermiculite if you wanted to add something.  vermiculite is designed to hold water.  Perlite holds essentially none.  Sand doesn't hold much water either but it tends to make the soil more compact.

I would mix the bottom two thirds with more perlite (most of the mixes have some of that in there already) and then add regular potting mix on top.  Perlite tend to float to the top is there is too much in there and the layer on top will reduce that.

Paul Archer
Indianapolis, IN  Zone 5