  • Subject: Re:
  • From: Barbara-Jean Jackson <JACKSONB@BrandonU.CA>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:26:52 -0500

Hi there,

Here in cold zone 2b CDN, 3ish USDA, I have grown belamcanda chinensis
successfully for the past 5 or 6 years.  It did not bloom this year because of
horrible spring and summer growing conditions (summer didn't really arrive
till September) but it grew well and has increased this year to six stems.
The plant was a gift from an iris friend who grew it from seed.  Maybe that
has something to do with its success.

Just another 2 cents.

BJ in SW MB, Canadian Prairies, Zone 2b/3ish

>>> thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com> 10/13/2009 7:52 AM >>>
Hi Albert,

I've only seen one plant in flower anywhere around here (Maryland)
but it sounds like they should be able to succeed here. Maybe I
just need to start them from seed as someone mentioned. And
speaking of soils... I'm thinking of adding more organic matter
to counteract any negative effects our clay might have. Sounds
like that might be an issue with these guys.

Thanks for your input, Tom
Albert wrote:

"Hi Tom

I grew Belamcanda about 12 years ago. They lasted one summer and
committed hari kari by the second spring. The basic soil is the
acidic red clay. Too Acidic? I grew the Pardancanda for several
summers with moderate success."