Re: HYB: pigment question?
  • Subject: Re: HYB: pigment question?
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 08:30:14 -0400

Thanks Chuck.  That's easier to remember!

When you said the trait doesn't necessarily show, did you mean t-factor isn't necessarily in the part of the beard that shows?

Or did you have something else in mind? i.e., so much of other pigments present that it's not apparent without extraction?

Or are there other factors that can suppress t expression completely?

<Should always have tangerine show up in beard, at least in throat.
Chuck Chapman>

<Tangerine X Tangerine should all be tangerine. But because genes are there
it doesn't mean trait has to show up.>

Back when I was first tracking pedigrees, I made the mistake of assuming a description that said orange beard meant t-factor. Now I assume if it says tangerine in means t-factor, but I guess this shows that's not always true either. Maybe if it says 'red' or 'tomato red', I can assume <that> means t-factor ;-)

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7