OT-BIO: Tom Waters

Hello, everyone.

Some of you may remember me as Tom Tadfor Little. I started Iris-L (the
ancestor of this list) in 1996. I've been away for irises for some time,
having had a number of life changes (in particular, a divorce that had me
living in apartments with no garden for awhile. In 2010, my new wife and I
bought a home on 1.1 acres of land, and I started digging up the ground
everywhere I could. The iris bug bit, and I decided to get back into things
(particularly hybridizing). Last year I joined the Yahoo groups for the
Aril Society and SIGNA. I didn't join this list at that time, because I
prefer to interact on the web rather than by email these days, and also my
interests are rather specialized. But poking around the archives on
hort.net, it seemed like there were some interesting conversations here and
that the volume would not overwhelm my email inbox.

I've been growing irises on and off since the 1970s (off more often than
on, I think, if I totaled up the years). I've also been involved in several
iris societies, been a judge, etc. My focus now is on growing a modest
collection of irises well, in the context of a garden that is a pleasant
outdoor space. I have about 200 now, most acquired this year, and most
relevant to my hybridizing ideas in one way or another. I'm looking forward
to bloom next spring, now that I've made this solid start and the garden is

It's nice to see many familiar names here, and it will be fun to join the

There's more about my iris interests on my website

I also seem to spend a lot of time on Facebook these days (oh well). Feel
free to stop by at
http://www.facebook.com/groups/144961258880171/#!/tom.l.waters and send me
a friend request if you like.

Happy irising,