Re: HYB: breeding strategies (was OT-BIO: Tom Waters)
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: HYB: breeding strategies (was OT-BIO: Tom Waters)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:09:08 -0400

Tom, I especially enjoyed your article on breeding strategies. Esp line breeding vs back crossing to achieve particular goals. Too soon to tell which approach is going to work best for me to get the 'GBK' (Ghio/Blyth/Keppel) 'beauty' genes combined with rebloom.

Esp if (as I suspect) some of the rebloom sets of genes (the ones that can rebloom in my climate) are acting as amphidiploid combinations from dwarf species. Some of them may have crossed chromosomes with TBs by now, acting as tets, but it seems like getting rebloom from rebloom x rebloom should be easier if there aren't amphidiploid issues.

I barely know what I'm talking about in the above... thinking out loud.

<There's more about my iris interests on my website
http://www.telp.com/irises/>

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7