re: Re: HYB: breeding strategies (was OT-BIO: Tom Waters)
iris@hort.net

Hi Linda!

Thanks for your interest in my site. I think you will not have to worry
about chromosome issues in your reblooming work, since I believe you are
using just TBs for this line. (It doesn't matter that a particular gene
might have come from a dwarf in the remote past, just that the plants you
are actually using are TBs.)

Your program should do well without too much worry of the pitfalls of
inbreeding, since you have a large pool of different "beauty" irises from
different breeding lines to start with, and reasonable diversity in the
strong rebloomers too. My inclination would be to cross the beauties with
the rebloomers, and save both the strongest rebloomers and the most
beautiful ones from each cross. Then you can cross the beauties from one
cross with the best rebloomers from another, giving a good chance of
getting the desired genes together without things becoming incestuous. ;)

All the best, Tom

Tom Waters

Telperion Oasis ~ www.telp.com/irises

Cuyamungue, New Mexico, USA