Re: Re:HYB: Breeding strategies
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Re:HYB: Breeding strategies
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:33:36 -0400 (EDT)

Linda, Tom's article gives me hope.

My top criteria are 1) combining rebloom genes and 2) plant strength and growth. As we've all agreed, a rebloomer needs a strong plant to support it.

Currently, I make 4 types of crosses in the TB rebloom program.
1) Straight rebloom crosses. Ex: 'Star Gate' x 'Over and Over' (would this be a good one to line breed? One line for selfs and another for plicata?) Violet Miracle is on both sides of this cross, not a full line breed but still a bit of inbreeding. 2) Stage one seedling x strong rebloomer. Ex: (Lunar Whitewash x Romantic Evening) x Over and Over) 3) Combining rebloom with non-rebloom/warm climate rebloom. Ex: (Lunar Whitewash x Romantic Evening) This type peaked in 2006 but I'm still doing a few each year. 4) Occasionally, I just go crazy and cross a couple of marginal things, usually irises or seedlings that contain some rebloom. Ex: (Breaking News X Cloud Berry) Pretty faces.

I've only made one line cross (so far) and I was very pleased with the results. I can see the potential for more. Based on research, I've refrained from wasting space on selfing.

Yes, as a result of gene combining, I have kept and used things that do not impress me! You're famliar with the "kitchen sink" kids? And some of their children.

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KY
autmirislvr@aol.com