Re: Re: HYB: breeding strategies
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: breeding strategies
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 15:58:59 -0400 (EDT)

Linda, I rarely make (beauty x strong rebloom) X beauty). Yes, it's just too far from rebloom. I do make (beauty x strong rebloom) x (beauty x strong rebloom) which leaves the children with the possiblilty of 50% rebloom rather than 25% rebloom. Speaking in generalities here.

Once I get the 'kitchen sink' kids, I may cross them with either depending on my personal assessment of all available. The nice tall and well branched seedling from DRINKS @ SUNSET X RENOWN has been crossed by 1810-01Re (a kitchen sink child) . Should be interesting.

2307-red is (Treasured x Renown) x (Lunar Whitewash x Romantic Evening) and I put My Friend Jonathan on it. (New things happening in the red lines.)

Planting seed now. Turns out I did a sibling cross. Now planted. 2304-ruffles x sibling. (Hello Darkness x Tara's Choice) X (Lunar whitewash x Romantic Evening. All seedlings from this cross were dark purple combinations. 20 seed on Hello Darkness X Star Gate which will go back into this mess.

<< But I am getting a lot of really pretty & vigorous 2nd generation seedlings from
(IMM x beauty) X another beauty (Betty, you don't list this type of
cross - too far from rebloom?). These seedlings combine two of the
traits I'm after. Is that what you mean by going for another
generation? So now it's time to make back crosses for the third trait?>>

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KY
autmirislvr@aol.com