Re: Among Friends rebloom
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Among Friends rebloom
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <101n@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 15:48:57 -0400

Folks, lets have a little reality here.  We don't have a large number reliable
reblooming irises.  Things that are reliable in Italy, are not necessarily
reliable in Scottsville KY.  Thins that are reliable in California are not
reliable in KY.  Things that are reliable in Linda's back yard do not rebloom
in my back yard.

Can we please find a way to encourach and reward those
that breed for rebloomers in all geological areas?  We can throw all types of
caution and cantankerous intervention in the mix, but do we really want to?
<<For my highly variable climates, in order to say for sure that an iris
is a
reliable rebloomer here, I would want to grow it for 3 or 4 yrs
after first
bloomstalk, without dividing.  I wouldn't know what to call
it if it
rebloomed <one> of those years.  If I grew it 10 yrs and it
rebloomed twice,
I still wouldn't know.>>

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KY