Re: classifying as a Rebloomer

Bloom triggers for plants are complicated, and you can occasionally get misfires. A number of years ago in our area some apple trees bloomed in fall. But a once off occurrence. Rebloom yes, but it doesn't make these apple trees rebloomers.

Right now I have Victoria Falls in bloom, and on a 50" stalk, standing up straight and tall. But the only time it has fall bloomed in over 20 years of growing it. I'm not going to send in a rebloom report on it as it is a once off event. About 4 years ago I had a fall bloom on a clump of Best Bet. Again a once off event as it also has done this once in about 20 years. I'm not going to list them as rebloomers for me in my zone 4 garden. And having them listed as zone 4 rebloomers would be inaccurate and deceptive. Not a behaviour you can rely on.

On the other hand, my SDB Juiced Up is reblooming now on several clumps. I first had rebloom on Juiced Up about 2006, after initial bloom in 1998. It was interesting, but even if it had a rebloom parent, that still didn't make it a rebloomer. But in the past four years it has rebloomed three times. I'll now report it as a rebloomer for my climate zone.

A once off event of rebloom is exciting, and worth noting , but doesn't make that plant a rebloomer for me. I have over the years have had a good number of oncers put up an out of season or even twice a year bloom. these things can and do happen. Doesn't make it a rebloomer as far as I'm concerned.

Chuck Chapman