Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
  • From: Chuck Chapman <db4f61431@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 21:14:38 -0400

For those people who have iris that rebloom regularly for them, they report. And then information is properly recorded. And expectations of various rebloom in various zones can be relied on. Once in 20 years in zone 4 is not information that can be counted on.

When you check the "rebloom" iris offered by Spring Garden and ilk, you find that they have used rebloom information from list , sometime along the process. When checking out some of their listing I found information such as one rebloomer sold in Canada was recorded as a one time event, of rebloom in Australia. No other rebloom reported. This iris (along with many other on their list) will never rebloom in Canada. Some don't even make it through first year. Many people by these collections, both in Canada and USA. When they don't have rebloom they then can give up on rebloomers. Several such comments on "Iris lovers" recently are very likely from this sort of practice.

So a "once off" rebloom from one iris in one location, when reported as a reblooming iris can have unwanted effects. Even if it is once every three years , it gives useful information. Once in 20, of no value, except to be used as misleading information from the "Spring Gardens " of the world. And you can bet that they will use it.

Chuck Chapman