Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <101n@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 09:31:30 -0400

Maybe it depends on the goal?

If your goal is to collect irises that will
have a GOOD chance of reblooming in your yard, then it would be advisable to
collect those that rebloom, on a regular basis, in YOUR area.  Learn from
local gardeners. If none exist, you can learn by careful use of the checklist.
If your goal is to improve or diversify the rebloom class, through breeding,
perhaps you might want to venture a bit beyond the default rebloomers. ??  An
occasional outcross to coastal rebloomers of stellar growth habits might be of
benefit.  I work specifically with tall bearded irises and I'm a bit too old
to begin with inter class crosses etc.

<<Once in 20, of no
value,
except to be used as misleading information from the "Spring
Gardens " of the
world. And you can bet that they will use it.>>

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KY
autmirislvr@aol.com