Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
  • From: Chuck Chapman <db4f61431@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 12:05:57 -0400

Could take just one with right parents.

Having accurate information won't discourage anyone. But will prevent people from making futile crosses. The idea that breeding good strong colder (harsher) rebloomers with coastal or occasional rebloomers is way to go has set back rebloom progress tremendously, as far as I'm concerned. It is based on assumption that there is only one type of rebloom gene. Also assumption that all rebloom is recessive and have to breed rebloomer to rebloomer. Both assumptions has interfered with progress. Most people trying these type of crosses in non-costal climates end up giving up trying in frustration at lack of progress.

The rebloom genes in Coastal rebloomers (and occasional/random rebloomers ) is completely different then the genes in cold climate rebloomers. Nothing from these "facilitative vernalization " rebloomers genes will contribute positively to cold climate rebloom. But do usually add tenderness, which is a problem to breed out.

When people start crossing strong cold climate rebloomers with cold hardy plants with good secondary factors, we will start making good progress in rebloom breeding.

Chuck Chapman