Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
  • Subject: Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
  • From: Chuck Chapman <db4f61431@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 13:21:06 -0400

Any examples of successful rebloomers from this program with flower form and colours of the exotic warm climate iris?

The warm climate rebloomers don't have any more or less secondary rebloom characteristics then warm climate iris that don't rebloom. Just have facilitative vernalization genes, which are irrelevant for anything in zone 7 and cooler.

If you grow a number of cultivars, then the ones that put out increases earlier in your climate are ones with lower mature leaf count and appropriate bud set temperatures for your climate. These are the secondary traits you need. For me the iris will have lower bud set temperatures, in Linda's climate they will have higher bud set temperature. Same selection procedure, different results.

Chuck Chapman