Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
  • Subject: Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
  • From: Chuck Chapman <db4f61431@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 13:26:53 -0400

Last year I made a few crosses using Buckskin Babe and seedlings to rebloomers of the Fall cyclic type. Some more this year including Buckskin Babe X Pink Attraction both ways. I'm expecting some hardy pink rebloomers from this, that will be carrying the tangerine factor from BB.

Buckskin Babe is a dusty orange, that is very hardy, fast increaser and produces early increases. Pink Attraction is a hardy pink here and a reliable rebloomer.

I have done surveys of my plants late in summer /early fall and made note of how they do in terms of when they start increase and how many increases they have. I have several seedlings that have been selected on this trait to use for breeding hardy pink and orange iris . They are also suitable for breeding for rebloomers.

Getting hardy genes into facilitative vernalization bloomers ( ie California, warm climate of coastal, translate to whichever works for you) doesn't advance rebloom for zone 7 or colder.

I'm also using my selected early increasers to put pollen from iris with genes I want that are not usually good doers here. And then selecting for good colour and hardiness from them. Been doing this for awhile. Getting some really good results so far.

If my ideas are right, I'll get pink rebloomers from crosses I made this year. May not have form I want but form is easier to recover then hardy pink rebloom. Set first priorities on hardest goal. And I do have good orange and pink coming with improved form and early bud set to use in future crosses.

A southern iris I have identified as having good potential is Thunder Quay. And excellent formed blue violet, that grows supper well here, and has early increase. Check parentage. Silverado X Kathleen Kay Nelson. I have pods on this from pink pollen parent.

Chuck Chapman