Re: REB: rebloom seedlings
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: REB: rebloom seedlings
  • From: Linda Mann <101l@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 06:39:16 -0400

Ok Chuck, now you are just being difficult. Quit trying to rain on my parade. How much "faster" can it be than 1 or 2 generations? ;-)

Sure, it took me longer than it would if I were in a 'better' climate because of late freeze damage effects on fertility. Oxmoor Hills X Gate of Heaven is <one> generation. (Imm x Treasured) X Tea Leaves is 2. I just started seriously working on rebloom 2 yrs ago.

I forgot to mention that part of the reason I have loved using GBK etc irises as opposed to 'good hardy irises' is that even on their death beds they produce copious amounts of very fertile pollen. Not so for the majority of 'good hardy irises' here.

This discussion began with your asking some for specific examples of using "bad not-hardy" iris (to use opposite words from yours) to get good results. I think I've been answering your questions, trying to explain my choices, why I've 'bet' my time and effort where I have.

You bet your way and I'll bet mine. As my 8th grade algebra/literature teacher used to say, there are more ways to kill a dog than choking him to death on butter (a phrase that has stuck with me, although it never has made a lot of sense! ;-) )

<I bet faster and better progress if you used good hardy iris with
good secondary characteristics. More survival, more choice from
seedlings.>

? what's your point? Of course they aren't combined yet. My primary goal was survival here in a range of color (check), 2ndary goal was form (check, tho I don't have as many seedlings with good form to work with as I'd like), 3rd is rebloom (partial check, still evaluating), 4th will be combining form and color with rebloom. I didn't think I'd be able to work on goal 4 for several more generations, so the white one is a nice surprise. I am no longer working on goal 1, except when I can't resist. Still working on goal 2. Trying to focus hard on goal 3.

<Getting form and colour, but not yet combined or equal to the Warm
climate iris.>

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7