Re: Re: REB: rebloom seedlings
  • Subject: Re: Re: REB: rebloom seedlings
  • From: Linda Mann <101l@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 08:53:22 -0400

Which assumes that is possible/easy. Easy to use the former, but I got nowhere trying to do the latter <here> because they wouldn't produce viable pollen.

The "most productive choices" needs the caveat of "for your breeding conditions".

It's like the advice I was getting when I first started breeding - use the best irises you can afford. Which are those same irises that don't do well in my climate (i.e., some Dykes medal winners won't live here). I still get asked why I'm using such old irises (i.e., Immortality) for breeding purposes - they are the very 'best' for my goals in my growing conditions.

It's one thing to say "don't expect to get mediterranean/coastal/CA/OZ" style rebloom the first generation using those irises for breeding in your climate if it's not 'medit/coast/etc', but I think it's very misleading to tell new rebloom breeders not to use them because it isn't the "most productive choice".

That's a judgement call that has to be made by the hybridizer.

I'm not trying to argue about your proposed genetic types of rebloom - you certainly have more years of experience with that than I do. Unfortunately, phenotypic expression of rebloom in different climates only gives clues, not verification of presence or absence of those genes. I don't like your assumption that all 'sporadic/mediterranean etc' expression of rebloom = proof of the presence of one type of rebloom gene.

i.e., my 'bet' is that it isn't always just one type ;-)