Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
  • Subject: Re: Re: classifying as a Rebloomer
  • From: Linda Mann <101l@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 07:57:59 -0400

hmm... I see three (often/sometimes overlapping right before frost) phenotypes/groups of rebloom here -

1) the whenever/summer rebloomers (fickle IMM, Belvi Queen, Tea Leaves (except during drought), Autumn Twilight (ditto), maybe something else I'm forgetting) This group is so small, I've assumed there is something recessive involved - either rebloom genes or heat/humidity tolerance genes or maybe not much history of selection (i.e., nobody in their right mind has done a lot of breeding for rebloom in this kind of climate)

2) the cool temperature/whenever/summer rebloomers (Feedback, Matrix, one of my seedlings [from Imm, Final Episode, Tea Leaves, Matrix], Gate of Heaven, Returning Chameleon & a bunch more that need adequate moisture Violet Miracle, Harvest of Memories, Perfume Counter etc etc. Betty has bred a <lot> of these, I think. Her selection environment is just a tiny bit cooler than mine (plus she has done a better job of keeping them watered).

3) the "winter" rebloomers - these don't start blooming until very late, bloom very early in spring, usually freeze damaged - October Splendor, Black Magic, Innocent Star, can't think of others at the moment. I wonder if these have those aphylla daylength genes you mentioned. Maybe these bloom off and on all winter in some parts of zone 8/9? This third group is the only one I'd guess could have a dominant rebloom gene. But it's like they have to get a few weeks of chilling (i.e., upper 30s to mid 40s, same temps as for stratifying seeds) before they will start to bloom.