HYB: stalk inheritance
  • Subject: HYB: stalk inheritance
  • From: Linda Mann <101l@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 14:59:28 -0400

Are stalk traits inherited more or less on a bell curve?

I'm very pleased with flower traits that I've been able to add to my rebloom breeding with Tea Leaves, but it really passes along the tendency to have most of the buds near the top of the stalk, spurs rather than branches, plus stalks that can drag to the ground with a full load of bloom, especially in rain.

So if I cross a seedling (or Tea Leaves) to something with stalks that stay upright and with branches instead of spurs (which probably would help distribute the weight better so it would be less likely to hit the ground), will the offspring more or less follow a normal distribution in traits?

i.e., 2/3 will be more or less in the middle of the distribution?

I made a test cross of this type, posted some of the resulting seedlings in 2009 & later. Subject: HYB: just for fun
    From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
    Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 19:57:34 -0500
Tall skinny (weak) stalk with buds at the top & prone to bending crossed onto a short well branched heavy budded seedling, produced pretty much all fairly short stalks (tho most were a little taller than pod parent) with decent branching & bud count on some, but not all.

Have any of you done much work trying to breed out falling stalks? What kind of plant traits do I have to have - 3 out of 4 grandparents with good traits?

Thanks for any insights or observations.

Linda Mann
zone 7b east TN  USA