Re: HYB: stalk inheritance

You would need to break this into several distinct traits for inheritance. Height would be one trait, and likely to be a multigenetic trait on a bell curve. Branching would be another trait, may be possible to break this down further into number of branches and positioning (as per location along length of stalk). then stalk thickness would be another.

Chuck Chapman

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Mann <101l@rewrite.hort.net>
To: iris <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sun, Oct 19, 2014 1:37 am
Subject: [iris] HYB: stalk inheritance

Are stalk traits inherited more or less on a bell curve?

I'm very pleased with flower traits that I've been able to add to my
rebloom breeding with Tea Leaves, but it really passes along the
tendency to have most of the buds near the top of the stalk, spurs
rather than branches, plus stalks that can drag to the ground with a
full load of bloom, especially in rain.

So if I cross a seedling (or Tea Leaves) to something with stalks that
stay upright and with branches instead of spurs (which probably would
help distribute the weight better so it would be less likely to hit the
ground), will the offspring more or less follow a normal distribution in

i.e., 2/3 will be more or less in the middle of the distribution?

I made a test cross of this type, posted some of the resulting seedlings
in 2009 & later. Subject: HYB: just for fun
    From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
    Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 19:57:34 -0500
Tall skinny (weak) stalk with buds at the top & prone to bending crossed
onto a short well branched heavy budded seedling, produced pretty much
all fairly short stalks (tho most were a little taller than pod parent)
with decent branching & bud count on some, but not all.

Have any of you done much work trying to breed out falling stalks? What
kind of plant traits do I have to have - 3 out of 4 grandparents with
good traits?

Thanks for any insights or observations.

Linda Mann
zone 7b east TN  USA