Re: HYB: flower form & stalk inheritance
  • Subject: Re: HYB: flower form & stalk inheritance
  • From: Linda Mann <101l@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 08:53:17 -0400

I've been really surprised by the width occasionally coming out of Immortality as pod parent (overlapping falls on at least one with (Final Episode, Tea Leaves, Matrix) as pollen. Neither parent has falls that wide, tho both were nearly touching.

I'm seeing many more than I expected with nearly touching falls with Imm as pod parent. Actually, I expected zero, so in this case, "many more" is only a few so far ;-).

In trying to predict what will 'shove' crosses in the direction I want, it's been really helpful to know the range of widths in all the aunts and uncles, great aunts and great uncles on both sides. Almost impossible to get that information without growing my own lines. It's taken awhile, but gratifying to finally be able to get there.

So from what you wrote, pretty much entirely nuclear DNA for bloom form/width, branch count and placement. And 3 ft tall leaves :-(

Possibly maternal for stalk chunkiness. And extrapolating, stalk corkscrewing (sensitivity to weather effects) and multiple stalks coming from one fan (I'm seeing a lot of triple stalks this fall - first stalks presumably more stressed by summer heat and drought more likely to be triples than later ones)

Unknown effect on branching - probably some of both? since some cultivars produce beautiful branching at home, turn into popsicles & gladiolas elsewhere. So I may have seedlings with genetics for good branching combined with weather sensitivity that's not letting it be expressed.

Thanks Chuck.  That is very helpful.