HYB: seeds sprouting
iris@hort.net
  • Subject: HYB: seeds sprouting
  • From: Linda Mann <101l@rewrite.hort.net>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:56:15 -0400

First 5 seeds, 4 from one cross, have started to sprout. Seeds in the fridge July 6-12, nearly 4 months @ ~40oF.

Not a huge number of crosses this year, so I'm planning to pot them in batches as they sprout for a couple of months, give them a full 6 months for those stubborn IMM genes.

I tried a slightly different approach this time - have to change something every year ;-).

Seeds were shelled as soon as they started to brown, put in the fridge loose in baggies without burritoing, loosely closed baggies with twist ties, put the baggies in a bigger partially closed ziplok with an apple section for moisture (and maybe some ethylene).

The apple piece was replaced once or twice when the first one turned to mush.

Just in case there were any soluble seed coat inhibitors (there shouldn't have been in fresh seeds), I gave them all a water rinse and half day soak a week or so ago.

One cross (marked 'all bad' on the tag) had quite a few rotted seeds, a few in some of the others marked 'bad'?.

I like this method best of all that I've tried so far. With nothing in the baggies with the seeds, its easy to see when they start to sprout or if they are too wet or too dry.

Linda Mann
east TN USA zone 7b