Re: Wabash

Arnold Koekkoek wrote:

> Donald:  You will love WABASH for a lot of reasons, at least if it
> does for you what it does for me.  Great vigorous grower, loads of
> flowers, beautiful and unique color (no mistaking when you see this
> flower), tough and hardy (though I realize that's not such a concern
> for you in your location).  I have another iris that looks like a
> close relative, though it's clearly not the same thing, and I just
> wish I could get it identified.  In fact, one of the reasons I
> recently joined HIPS is the hope that I'll be able to get an ID on
> that one.  Enjoy WABASH;  I'm sure you will.
>
> Arnold Koekkoek (NW Iowa, zone 4, where we still, amazingly, have not
> had a killing frost, despite several forecasts of mid-20s.)

Barb adds:

It seems that nearly everyone in Southwest Missouri grows WABASH. I got
my first start of it this fall and it is growing great just since
September.  My husband mentioned that it was one of the best sellers/
favorites when he worked at Henry Field's in Shenandoah, IA in the early
1950's.  (His dad worked at Earl May's at the same time). One reason we
joined AIS and are starting to grow iris is that fact, that he used to
spend whole days planting out iris in Henry Field's iris fields.

Barb Johnson     ljohnson@cland.net
Southwest Missouri Ozarks    Zone 5b  AIS Region 18