Re: Safari for Historics

>However, there is always the possibility that the local people were
>so disenchanted that they took their irises with them when they practically
>gave up there land for the good of the government.

The Oak Ridge Reservation (where Oak Ridge National Laboratory is located
along with some weapons facilities) also had some towns and many homesites.
 Buildings were not torn down, unless something else was to be built, but
nearly 60 years of recovery of natural ecosystems has certainly changed the
look of things.  The area was mostly a subsistance farming community - the
only cultivated iris I know about that have been found are our old friend I.
pallida (or some cultivar thereof) and I. germanica.  Lots and lots of I.
cristata.  Wonderfully restored habitat for a lot of dwindling populations of
plants and wildlife. Prime development property : <

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA.