Re: Red Reblooming TB's

>The reds are a difficult color to work with,
>giving poorer form, and growing problems. I forsook them completely some
>years back, but am now trying again. I bought four varieties of red from
>Schreiners (not reblooming), and none was any good.  I got their newest this
>year, for hope springs eternal.  Lloyd Zurbrigg,

Reds seem to either grow like weeds or rot here.  SULTAN'S PALACE seems to be
the most rot resistant, reddest one.  RUBISTAR is a little too sensitive to
available moisture and temperature swings to suit me (flower size is all over
the place, along with stalk height), but at least it doesn't rot (much).  WAR
CHIEF, in it's second year, seems to be growing well (no bloom this spring,
but that doesn't say much due to awful weather when planted followed by awful
spring).  WARRIOR KING rotted immediately.  PLAY WITH FIRE sulks.  Seems like
there were some other older reds that rotted as soon as they touched ground,
but I don't remember for sure.

I have LADY FRIEND, and it does outgrow the rot, but it is pretty rot prone.
 So far, it hasn't bloomed in three years, but it is an early bloomer(?), so
that isn't unusual.  And it's really not as red as SULTAN'S P.

I also have two very similar older no-names that grow like weeds.  One looks
slightly 'newer' - better substance and slightly more glowing color, gold
bushy beard.  Both short here, but that may be frost pocket effect.

When you say 'weren't any good', do you mean growth or flower?

Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN USA
aka rot queen