Snow Fences and Whatever?

Hi everybody,
        I have had so much fun with this list today.  Thank you all for the
info and the fun.
        Amy, it is slanted away from whatever it is protecting and hopefully
in the direction of the prevailing wind.  When you have winds this strong
and snow this wet or heavy you have to have somewhere for some of it to seep
though, thus the spaces between the slats and perhaps the space between the
fences will help the fences stay up.  The fences are left there for as long
as they will stand.
The last time I was home, about 1989 they were making them of metal instead
of wood so that may give them a longer life.
        If you had ever been caught in a Wyoming blizzard you would see the
purpose of the snow fence.  There is another little gimmic they use along
the highways in the west for saving lives.  They're called blizzard posts.
If you are interested write me at my Email adddress and I'll tell you about
them.  Thanks for letting me share with you.  Shades of my childhood!  I
miss Wyoming.
                        Norma
norm@redrock.net

                      QQQ