Re: Snow Fence

And one more thing on snow fences:
        Well, maybe I should have said in Wyoming they are slightly tilted
aeay from the thing, object or whatever the builder is hoping to protect..
Maybe they are built that way or maybe the wind does it.  The wind blows all
the time in the part of Wyoming I am from,and everything is slanted.  The
trees, the people, the building (grin) everything.
        At any rate I have never seen a farmer, rancher or road person out
there with a right angle, measuring to be sure they are perpendicular to the
ground.  Of course I have been a little busy to make a real study of the
snow fence building art.  I so know that ranchers and farmers do a lot of
work they would rather not be doing.  It is a fact of most of our lives.
The distance between the poles are standard or near it, on all fences, and I
believe the slats are cut to a standard length.  They are not slanted/
tilted because of sloppy work, there is a reason for the tilt. In these 3
states, to the best of my knowledge, the fences are never taken down, but
stay there until they either won't do the job anymore and are replaced or
they fall down.  Most of the new ones in Wyoming are metal I am informed and
still have openings so the wind doesn't destroy them quite so quickly.
        Having lived in New Hamshire and often visited New York state I
don't think Carolyn understands the hundreds of open miles the wind blows
absolutly unhindered and the terrific force it builds to. The "wide open
spaces" of New York state are nothing like the "wide open spaces" of the west.
        Snow fences were a mute point anyway, when I was teaching in Idaho
because the snow was so deep by Dec. 15 that we couldn't see the tops of our
cars, and by Jan. 15 the slide was covered.  I imagine that they use
snowmobiles now to get around.  We used snow planes if we wanted to go
anywhere.  The snow planes are another story.
        I guess different snow fences for different parts of the country.
And there Amy is more than you ever wanted to know about snow fences.  If
you ever get to Wyoming think of me.  I was born and raised in Casper which
is smack dab in the middle of the state.  Unless you are going there
particularly, not many people go through it.  My mother and son and his
family still live there.

                                Norma
Who started this topic anyway?

>One more thing on snow fences:
>
>So they are slanted (not perpendicular to the ground)?  And slanted
>towards whatever they are to protect, or slanted away from prevailing
>wind, or slanted towards either or the above?  Are the openings to keep
>the wind from blowing the fence down?
>

>If the fences are NOT perpendicular to the ground, it is because they are
>cheep, put up by guys who would rather be doing something else with their
>lives, andn/or who didn't put enough fence posts to hold the fence up, or
>the wind has blown it down.  The openings are to conserve wood, I'm sure,
>as well as to allow some wind to blow through so the fence won't completely
>collapse.
>
>The snow fence SHOULD be perpendicular to the ground, don't you think,
>experts??  I'm sure this is less an art than a science in the hands of
>day workers.
>
>Carolyn Schaffner

                      QQQ
                    %%*-*%%