Re: Red Reblooming TB's

>>On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Donald Mosser wrote:
>>
>>> Earlier this week I noticed a bearded iris in bud, in front of my local post
>>> office.  The bud was a dark, rusty red.
>>
>>Donald, what shade of red was this flower?
>>
>>Diana Louis <dlouis@dynamicro.on.ca>
>>Zone 4/5 Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
>
>This flower is a very dark, rusty brownish red.  Not trying to be gory, but
>I would liken the color to dried blood. Not even a hint of magenta or purple
>or violet in the standards and falls.
>-Donald

Well, forgive me, but I leaped before I looked.  I actually got the courage
to stop and examine the flower again on the way home from work today.  It
was fading fast, but it does appear to have some violet shading in the
standards and the falls.  The hafts are light colored with heavy red/violet
veining.  The beards are gold.  This probably describes every red,
reblooming TB that ever existed. It was an attractive flower and the
rhizomes seemed big and healthy.  Apparently someone, probably a local
garden club, had planted this small bed of TB's at some point in the last 10
years (the building looks that new).  Thanks everyone for taking a shot at
the possible identities.

-Donald

Donald Mosser
dmosser@southconn.com