Re: Red Reblooming TB's

The first two reddish iris I grew were Lady Friend and Mulled Wine. I
had heard more about the former and was pleased when it bloomed (two
stalks the first year). When Mulled Wine bloomed I was enthralled by its
better form and the way the bright beard set off the bloom. I could not
at the time understand the hoopla for Lady Friend.

When I dug and separated them, Lady Friend had a dozen or so rhizomes
after two years, and Mulled Wine had three rhizomes after three years. I
discarded Mulled Wine.

Lady Friend reblooms only rarely, but its vigor is rare in the color
class. It might not lead to a red when bred with other reds, because of
its unusual background, but who knows?

Gerry, looking forward to Las Vegas