Swedish passage from Gunnar

Some of you might remember Gunnar from Sweden offered a passage in Swedish
and a challenge to us to figure out what it means.

A friend and colleague managed to get the passage onto the WWW to a
group of folks interested in such things.  I'm going to post what I
received.  Please be aware that it is copied from my file, so some characters
will be strange, perhaps. I did not include the Swedish lines, since some
of us will not need them.  If you want the Swedish, let me know.

from Systema Natura, by Carl von Linne (printed 1777)

 Plants, which are in a daily growth, like the stones
but which, in addition, have life; since they consist of small tubes
through which
a fine liquid always flows and contributes (?) to the internal growth
of the parts
and not just through agglomeration like by the stones.
But they (=the plants) differ from the animals, the third kingdom
by not having feelings.

This seems to be the definition of the plant kingdom of Linnaeus. Apparently he had 3 kingdoms in his system: 1. stones, 2. plants, 3.

Iris (Swedish name translates as Sword Lily). The petals are 6 of
which every other is bent backward. The 3 parts (parts of female
organ - donUt know the English word) are similar to leaves.

This is his name and title. Archiater is some kind of medical title.
Linnaeus was professor of medicine at the University of Uppsala
although he is best known for his contributions to systematic botany
and zoology.

Riddaren = the nobleman
D. = Doctor (?)
Linnaeus was born Carolus Linnaeus but wrote his name as above
after being knighted.

Gunnar are you there?  I've already won my prize!!

Carolyn Schaffner in Buffalo, NY