Fires in Paradise

Maybe some of you have read in the news about the fires burning here in
Southern California.  This is the most beautiful place in the world to
grow iris.  The weather is always mild and we live on a grade surrounded
by an oak forest and eucalyptus.  However, our house almost burned twice
last year because of the constant brush fires caused by the Santa Ana
winds.  We also have vandals who set fires. Right now, I'm looking at
the huge smoke clouds from a fire that has burned eighty homes just down
the hills from me.  I wonder how many cherished gardens are being
destroyed.  When packing all your precious possessions, should you
uproot your favorite iris?  I guess there is a price to pay for paradise
here on Earth.   Smoked out in San Diego.  Sharlyn