Re: Bronze Beauty

Linda writes

:Seems to me all we need to do is call one  ARIL BRONZE BEAUTY  and the other
:BEARDED BRONZE BEAUTY, and let that be the official registered name of each.
:; )
:(something tells me that will satisfy absolutely nobody!)

A good thought. Actually, as Sharon mentioned, if it were not for the
International Code of Botanical Nomenclature, the aril would have been
registered as HOOGIANA BRONZE BEAUTY, the name under which it was generally
circulated. But the name police are actually very sensible in not allowing
species of Latin-form names as part of a cultivar name.

I think the best solution in cases like this is to add a qualifier after
the name (this was done with JOSEPH'S COAT, I believe). Some possibilities
are BRONZE BEAUTY VAN TUBERGEN or BRONZE BEAUTY ARIL. Placing the qualifier
after the name means that it can still be found in alphabetical lists by
people looking for the old name.