New to the List but will have many questions

Hi, my name is Clark and I am new to the list, but I have been reading it for
about four weeks. The important questions about myself should be answered
first before I start my questions.

I am 46. I live in Pasadena, CA --- a USDA zone of nine ot ten. (The
University of California Extension Service puts me in zone 21.) Zone 21 is a
part of the Southern California Thermal Belt with mostly warm temperatures
and some ocean air and ocean fog influence. Last week I started to drive to
work with a fog visibility of less than an eighth mile. Winter temperatures
never fall too far below 0 Centigrade. We can easily have temperatures in the
nineties in January. We can have ten inches of rain for the year or 35. We
have Santa Ana winds that blow hard and hot mainly in the fall.
I am jealous because my iris beds are rather small and not like you crazy
people with thousands of those TBs. I recently became interested in the
reblooming iris and bought a few from a local nursery. One of the yards about
three miles south has irises blooming all year and I hope I can do the same.
I work as a chemist at an aerospace company and try to use my chemistry
background to aid my garden.

My first question: Do some irises need a chill temperature in order to bloom?

Thanks in advance for any answers to my question.   Clark