Re: New to the List but will have many questions

Clark Lukens wrote:

> Hi, my name is Clark and I am new to the list, but I have been reading it for
> about four weeks. The important questions about myself should be answered
> first before I start my questions.

Welcome!

> I am 46. I live in Pasadena, CA --- a USDA zone of nine ot ten.

Welcome, semi-neighbor

> I am jealous because my iris beds are rather small and not like you crazy
> people with thousands of those TBs.

(Shock! Please say thousands of iris. Hide the fact that most
of ours are TBs  ;-)

> I work as a chemist at an aerospace company and try to use my chemistry
> background to aid my garden.

(Just so your company doesn't go into competition with JPL.)

> My first question: Do some irises need a chill temperature in order to bloom?

Need for cold seems inversely correlated with height.

Gerry in Sunland (Los Angeles) hoping to avoid fires