Apathy and TB Growers

Ellen Gallagher wrote:

>         As to the question of which is worse: Ignorance or Apathy and I chose
>         Ignorance *because* of my thirty + years of policial activism.
>         An apathetic person is lacking knowledge (also known as ignorance).

Aren't you getting redundant here (or recursive or something)

>         To equate this to our topic of irises, we can simply concentrate
>         on the TB symposium....the growers of tall bearded irises only
>         could be considered to be apathetic re: species, Siberians, Spurias,

EXCUSE ME??
While I agree that AIS should not be a TB society, I take great exception to being called
apathetic just because I don't share your fascinatation with other forms of Iris. I know
about them, even have a couple, because I can put them in my pond and ignore them. I put
a lot of energy into my Iris, the local club, and supporting other iris things. I choose
to put energy into things I like the best, in this case that happens to be TBs. That I
don't put energy into others does not make me necessarily apthetic about anything.

--
On 21 Oct  in -
1805 - Battle of Trefalgar, where Nelson established British naval supremacy for the next

In those days, a lot of drinking was done on board the ships. You've heard the refrain,
"Yo, ho, ho and a bottle o' rum." And rum probably had a lot  to do with the victory. All
Lord Nelson had to say to his men was,   "England expects that every man will do his
duty" and they did, getting up  enough nerve to defeat the enemy in a mere five hours.
There was much  bravery or bravado.

Unfortunately, the good Admiral was hit by an enemy musket ball and died as the enemy
surrendered.  The crew preserved his body in the rum. Now we know where that other
refrain came from, "Oh, it's rum, rum, rum that makes you feel so numb."

1869 - 1st shipment of fresh oysters comes overland from Baltimore.

1879 - After 14 months of experimenting in Menlo Park, NJ, Thomas Alva Edison succeeded
in producing a working prototype of the electric, incandescent lamp this day. It could
burn for thirteen and a half hours.

And at the top of the charts on this day in:
1960 - Monster Mash - Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt Kickers 5
---

John Jones, jijones@ix.netcom.com
Heavy clay base for my raised beds.