Re: Region 21 Symposium

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Nell Lancaster wrote:

	(snip re TB voting)

>....... But I wish I had the opportunity to do the same thing for
> Siberians, without having to be a member of yet another section.

	Interesting Nell - I was going to include something like this but
	I thought I had said enuf on the subject but you nudged me...Dennis
	Stoneburner said a few months ago on this list something to the
	effect that this is a Tall Bearded Society we belong to...the AIS.
	I don't remember voting for my pick of Siberians this year but I
	do remember sending my Japanese iris ballot on the 'net to Kathy
	G......there is a lot more to this than I realized concerning
	balloting in the AIS.

	Join the Siberian Section - two nice publications/yr. and all
	these great people who grow the perfect garden plant - the Siberian

	As to the question of which is worse: Ignorance or Apathy and I chose
	Ignorance *because* of my thirty + years of policial activism.
	An apathetic person is lacking knowledge (also known as ignorance).
	To equate this to our topic of irises, we can simply concentrate
	on the TB symposium....the growers of tall bearded irises only
	could be considered to be apathetic re: species, Siberians, Spurias,
	Arils, LA, PCN, Japanese, Medians, Dwarfs...the list goes on. *But*
	expose and educate the TB-only grower with the excitement of the
	wonderful world of irises and one would have to rein her/him in!
	New vistas open up and passion knows no bounds (concerning irises).
	This person has been released from the narrow constraints of the
	TB rot and borer...think about it....I was going to quote a line
	from a Janis Joplin song but thought better of it. :-)

	Good night,

	Ellen G.