Region 21 Symposium

    I found the symposium summaries from a couple other regions very
interesting, so I thought I would share the results from our region
in hopes others felt the same way.  It's interesting to compare the
different regions, noting what is universally popular as well as what
isn't.  Why are so many AIS members unwilling to take time to vote?
I noted Region 4's percentage of something like 14+%, and ours is not
a lot better:  55 voting out of a posible 296=18.58%.  Anyway, here
are top vote-getters in the upper midwest.  I'll list those with
votes in double figures; there are 2 more pages double-column of
those getting fewer votes.

Rank    Variety         Votes
1   Dusky Challenger    36
2   Silverado           27
3   Beverly Sills       26
4   Stepping Out        25
5   Laced Cotton        21
5   Titan's Glory       21
7   Before the Storm    19
7   Edith Wolford       19
9   Honky Tonk Blues    16
9   Silicone Prairie    16  (Tim Stanek '91, S. lt. blue, F. char-
9   Supreme Sultan      16   treuse yellow. Tim lives near Omaha.)
9   Vanity              16
13  Ginger Swirl        15
13  Lemon Mist          15
13  Superstition        15
16  Maria Tormena       14  (Ensminger '87, Phlox pink w/pansy violet
17  Everything Plus     13   splashes, B. red.)
17  Jesse's Song        13
19  Electric Avenue     12
19  Joyce Terry         12
19  Lady Friend         12
19  Mary Frances        12
19  Song of Norway      12
24  Anne Gaddie         11  (Gene Gaddie '91, S. rosy pink, F. velvet
24  Immortality*        11   magenta wine, B. tangerine.  Gene lives
24  Orange Slices       11   in Stanton, NE.  Anne is his mother.)
24  Victoria Falls      11
27  Champagne Elegance  10
27  Purple Pepper       10
27  Raspberry Falls     10

* You need a bit of humor, too.  I notice that whoever typed the list
I got made a neat typo and left out the middle t in Immortality!
Somehow, I don't think it would ever win a Dykes with that name!

Arnold Koekkoek (Zone 4, NW Iowa, where that killing frost has held
off for a while longer, despite forecasts to the contrary for the
past 2 nights.  I covered my lone reblooming stalk, Low Ho Silver,
just in case.)