Re: Region 21 Symposium

Ellen Gallagher wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Arnold Koekkoek wrote:
>
> >         Why are so many AIS members unwilling to take time to vote?
>
>         As one who has never voted in a TB symposium, I can try to explain
>         why I never voted. 1) don't see enough TB's to make an informed
>         decision

Valid point (but I suspect that you know more than a lot of voters).

>          2) don't see the *point* of a beauty contest for current flowers

It's a lot more than a beauty contest--good garden plants are
rewarded strongly, at least in the long run.

>          3) seems like the same 15 or 20 `win' in all sections of N. America

I'm not sure I understand this point.

>          4) think they are too many TB's grown now in gardens to the detriment
>             of the genus

I would prefer to say "not enough non-TBs."

> > I noted Region 4's percentage of something like 14+%, and ours is not
> > a lot better:  55 voting out of a posible 296=18.58%.  Anyway, here
> > are top vote-getters in the upper midwest.
>
>         Two points here: a) this is not a valid survey because of the small
>                            percentages

If you know of something better, suggest it. I also wish more people
voted,
but I don't know what to do about.

[Brings to mind the joke:

Q. Which is worse, ignorance or apathy?

A. I don't know, and I don't care.]

>                         b) thank you for telling us what part of the continent
>                           your region covers - it is helpful, Arnold

If I forgot to mention that Region 15 is mostly desert plus coastal
Southern California when I started the Symposium postings, I most
humbly apologize.

Gerry in Los Angeles, where we got a sprinkle of rain today--our first
in five months or so