In a message dated 96-10-19 11:05:59 EDT, Nell  wrote:

<< Was intrigued by the prize to Sterling
 Innerst's OMINOUS STRANGER for 'most original color'.  Has anyone seen this
 tall bearded, either in a garden or a photo/slide?  I'd love to have a
 description. >>

Yes, Nell, I've seen it.  It is indeed intriguing.  Description --umm, hmmm,
well its kind of strange-looking in bud, very different-looking in bloom,
it's kind of uh, an Appaloosa iris, I guess, is the closest I can come.  Sort
of a leopard-spot Appaloosa, with kind of muddy-colored spot markings on a
kind of cream-toned ground.

Anyone else want to take a stab at this?!

Anyway, I can assure you that the prize is well-deserved!

Dorothy Fingerhood
(Newfield, NY)  Zone 4 on a totally wet, grey, dismal day.