Re: Region 21 Symposium

On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Gerry Snyder wrote:

> Ellen Gallagher wrote:
> >         As one who has never voted in a TB symposium, I can try to explain
> >         why I never voted. 1) don't see enough TB's to make an informed
> >         decision
>
> Valid point (but I suspect that you know more than a lot of voters).

	I hope not - if that is the case, the symposium is really
	flawed. :-)

> >          2) don't see the *point* of a beauty contest for current flowers
>
> It's a lot more than a beauty contest--good garden plants are
> rewarded strongly, at least in the long run.

	I think that I was asked to select TB's that I had seen growing
	in a garden in order of preference - nothing about a good garden
	plant, however laudable. Are we talking about the same symposium?

> >          3) seems like the same 15 or 20 `win' in all sections of N. America
>
> I'm not sure I understand this point.

	Me either. I was thinking of `why vote? it doesn't matter'. Feel the
	same way about living in a state with 4 electoral votes...

> >          4) think they are too many TB's grown now in gardens to the
		 detriment of the genus.

> I would prefer to say "not enough non-TBs."

	 I like my original statement.

> >         Two points here: a) this is not a valid survey because of the small
> >                            percentages
>
> If you know of something better, suggest it.

	Do away with the TB symposium - seriously. It is obviously not
	a real symposium....hardly anybody votes - there are reasons why -
	I just tried to explain mine (badly).

> Q. Which is worse, ignorance or apathy?

	A. Ignorance.

	Cheers,