Re: Rhizomes only bloom once?

LMann76543@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 96-10-12 22:18:26 EDT, Dana writes:
> >Whether it blooms or not that rhizome you bought
> >should reproduce and have at least two babies.  The next bloom season you
> >will
> >have twice as good a chance for bloom, and so on until you dig all those
> >rhizomes
> >up and separate and replant them.
>      Linda replies:
> Ahh, if it were only true.....
> : )  some of them just sulk.
> Linda Mann lmann76543@aol.com east TN usa

   And Barb comments:
That's an humorous way of putting it!  I am fascinated by the levels of
fan growth on the irises I  planted this summer.  Some have one large
fan, some have added one or more smaller fans to that, a couple have 5
or 6 fans already, and some are struggling to maintain the one small fan
they had or newly-grew.  This is one thing I'm keeping track of.  More
on record-keeping later.  We had our first light frost this morning, and
expect colder tomorrow a.m., so I think it's time I go out with my
record book and write down each variety and how many and what size
fan(s) they have, for starters.  Then later on I can observe how the
fans die back for the winter!  HANDS UP has two new small fans starting
but no bloomstalk.  It was the first iris I planted, at the end of July,
and it has just sat there with its huge fan until a couple of weeks ago
when the babies popped up.  Fascinating.  I suppose some irises are more
reserved about increasing than others. Now I get to see which ones!

Barb Johnson, ljohnson@cland.net  Region 18, Zone 5/6, first frost
10/17/96.  And my tomatoes and eggplants were still blooming yesterday!!